Sunday, March 31, 2013

Darkness within and without me


It was not just dim or even like a completely cloudy and moonless night
For I stayed in a dark that admitted not even the idea of light
Things looked the same with my eyes either open or closed
Turning all the way around and looking up and down, I saw nothing different

How often did I stumble over simple obstacles unseen?
And not a single photon ever fell upon any of my myriad receptors
How easily I might have walked given just a little light
But I could not even know what my eyes were for

I might have begun with an imagining of colors
Though without sight all descriptions were simply meaningless
I arose from the dark and in darkness I remained
And I had no need of longing, for I had never seen

I dreamed in but the singular image of total darkness
No shadows could ever cross over me upon my unseen path
I knew not sunset nor the difference between day and night
Sunlight could not penetrate the depth of my thought

Darkness filled me instantly from everywhere without
And I remained as dark as my absolutely colorless surroundings
It was not just dark - for there simply was no light
The emptiness of not black was the only truth that I knew

I could not miss that thing called light, so far outside my ken
But, I was not blind, for I was always seeing nothing
So, I was blind but could not ever notice
Therefore, the darkness did not bind me in any form of sorrow

For me there were no things better left unseen
I did not strive to make out any shadowy details
I always saw everything there was, all at once
I could not fret over things I never knew that I could hope for

It was not blackness but it was the unified and true darkness
I merged with the no color, as empty as the void that surrounded me
My field of vision was consistent in all directions and both up and down
I lacked for nothing in the completeness of my ignorance

The mindless darkness bound me before I had emerged
I might have learned to visualize my surroundings but the void was silent
In the dark I found I had little understanding of how far that I had traveled
Darkness touched me all over until I took its form from within

No comments:

Post a Comment