Friday, July 12, 2013

Vicious Cycles

When the shame of what I have done hits me like a blow one more useless time
I feel the trap of an endless cycle which I despise but never can escape
Once again, I realize that I do not control the foolish poison I have spewed,
And wish so hard that it did not always have to turn out this silly way
Afterwards I move about without the fire, in a juvenile shame for several days thereafter
Then I reach the point where I believe that it could not occur again
More time passes and I live what I perceive to be, an almost normal life
And gradually my emotions begin their slow rebirth once more

There is less and less depression and easy laughter lightens all the loads
The memories of my former acts seem very far away, indeed
I begin to believe, without knowing it, that things will finally go my way
Brimming with self-confidence, I face the problems of my days
Looking back, it seems that I really have, at last, learned that simple lesson
Now I live without the shame that follows so quickly upon my foolish anger
Then one day, indeed, it’s not ever very long, I am in some simple situation
Before I know it, the bell rings again and, as always, I must answer

Right or wrong it does not matter, my responses are always inappropriate
Loud and obnoxious, I willingly reject all I thought that I had learned
Eager in just a brief moment to accept that age-old urge to battle
Quite in spite of the fact that I know it never does me any good at all
I notice, but easily ignore, the not-so-subtle cues in each of these situations
The thought of being disrespected leading to a faster heart rate
The flush that creeps up to my face and the dilation of my eyes
Things I know are my own worst enemies, but by then it’s far too late

Part of me watches helplessly, simply cataloging the errors that I repeat
Part of me grows yet angrier, just knowing that I am losing control once again
My rationality becomes impaired and my judgment is affected
I cannot present my arguments in a clear or effective manner

In the back of my mind, I note that things are going badly
And then somehow I realize that I must have nothing left to lose
I give up all good hope and toss off my thin veil of civility all together
And at that point I do not really care anymore: Fuck whatever happens
Then it becomes a contest of sharp phrases and aggressive body language
A struggle not of minds but of emotions and ill will
There is no real pleasure in this pointless conflict behavior
But there never seems to be a way to escape them gracefully

Toe to toe we stand, exchanging insults instead of information
Unable to communicate anything more than a powerful subconscious hatred
Finally something breaks the spell and it is over for another time
A brief triumphal interlude ensues in which I am glad to be alive
Then comes the brutal truth of the redundant stupidity of my angry actions
At that point the foolish cycle begins again and I see blackly that, there is no escape

No comments:

Post a Comment